- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 09-24-2018
At Sheehy Animal Hospital, we're committed to providing your pet with the quality, compassionate care he or she deserves at all stages of life. Our animal hospital in Livonia unfortunately sees and treats many instances of pets who have gotten into something hazardous or poisonous within their own homes. Because of this, we wanted to take some time to inform pet owners of some of the most common household hazards and how they can protect their pets from them on a daily basis.
Believe it or not, one of the more common household dangers for pets is that of everyday food items. Foods that are perfectly harmless to humans can be toxic and fatal to pets, even in small doses. Chocolate is a common example of a type of food that can be toxic if ingested by a pet. Some other foods that can be dangerous to certain pets include grapes, raisins, garlic, and certain herbs (such as cilantro). To play it safe, it's generally best to avoid feeding your pet anything other than pet food and treats.
Household cleaning supplies and chemicals can also be hazardous when ingested by pets. A common example of a chemical that can be fatal to a pet is that of antifreeze, which unfortunately has a sweet taste and smell that is appealing to pets such as cats and dogs. Be sure to keep all household chemicals out of reach of your pet at all times, and clean up any antifreeze or other spills from your driveway promptly.
These are just some of the most common household dangers that our Livonia veterinarian, unfortunately, sees affect pets on a regular basis. If your pet has gotten into any of these, we encourage you to see Sheehy Animal Hospital as soon as possible. You can reach us by calling (248) 615-7670.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.
I love this veterinary clinic. Dr. Sheehy and staff are all friendly and seem to take pride in their jobs. I enjoy taking my three rats there and would recommend them to everyone I know.